THE TOP 13 STEAM IRONS MONEY CAN BUY
1. Philips Azur Elite GC5039/30
2. Philips PerfectCare Elite Steam Generator GC9630/20
3. Bosch Sensixx’x TDA3021GB
4. Tefal FV4970 ULTRAGLISS 4
5. Braun CareStyle 3
6. Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus
7. The Funky Iron Company Funky Iron
8. FRIDJA F10 Handheld Garment STEAMER
9. Breville PressXpress VIN339-01
10. Tefal FV9740 Ultimate Anti Scale
11. JML Phoenix Copper Pro
12. Russell Hobbs Freedom Cordless 23300
13. Swan SI3070N Travel Iron
THE FUNKY IRON REVIEW
Funky by name, funky by nature, this home-grown retro cloth presser is arguably one of the most striking irons on the board and is a choice par excellence for Smeg and Dualit fans, or indeed anyone into the ’50s thing. However, it’s not all style over substance since it comes with pretty much everything you’d expect of a decent quality iron, a steam shot function notwithstanding. Mind, it doesn’t really need one because its 50g/min continuous steam output is marginally more than the average. Rather handily, it also features three steam output settings from gentle to geyser, though the three-position switch does feel flimsy.
At 1.3kgs, the Funky is weighty in the hand but thankfully its ceramic soleplate coasts across fabric like skates on ice, so it’s easy enough to push about. It also has a large 450ml water tank, a decently long three-metre power cable and a basic self-clean feature.
The Funky Iron is available in three shiny perspex-like finishes – deep red, black and teal turquoise – and performs ironing duties without fuss, though its bulbous shape does make it impossible to wrap the cord around for storage. But, hey, that’s never stopped anyone from buying an iron.